Whether you are a professional athlete or amateur sports enthusiast, compounding can provide enormous benefits for every type of athlete. Athletes frequently achieve a speedy recovery by utilizing topical agents prepared by compounding pharmacists. Compounding enables pharmacists to work closely with both the athlete and their physician or trainer to prepare customized dosage strengths, potency and delivery systems to provide the maximum effect in therapy.
Athletes, coaches, trainers, team physicians, physical therapists, and sports enthusiasts are faced with problems such as:
- Acute pain
- Muscle spasms
- Fungal infections of the skin and nails (athlete’s foot, jock itch, and onychomycosis)
- Excessive perspiration
Our compounding specialists can help with these problems and more, with customized medications that contain the correct ingredients in the best form to most effectively supply the required medication to the affected area.
Transdermal vs. Topical Drug Delivery in Sports Medicine
Many medications used to manage pain, decrease inflammation, and ease muscles also carry the risk of adverse side effects. If these medications are applied topically, however, therapy can be achieved and side effects can be reduced significantly.
- Pain Cream
- Peripheral tissue activity
- Systemic side effects are less likely
- If analgesic, applied directly over painful site
- Insignificant serum levels
- Systemic activity
- Potential for adverse side effects
- If analgesic, may be applied directly over painful site
- Serum levels necessary for effect
Commonly compounded Sports Medicine medications
- Clotrimazole in DMSO solution
- Cyclobenzaprine/Ketoprofen transdermal gel
- Dexamethasone iontophoresis solution
- Fluconazole/Ibuprofen topical gel
- Ketamine/Gabapentin transdermal gel
- Ketoprofen 10%/20% transdermal gel
- LAT topical gel
- Nutritional Supplements
- Pregame Rubs with emu oil and anti-spasmodic drugs
- Topical therapies for Hyperhidrosis
Get More Info
Call (888) 963-9923 or fill out the form.