It is estimated that more than 50 million Americans are currently suffering from chronic pain due to a traumatic injury, a degenerative disease, a congenital condition, or simply from years of poor posture.
Typically, pain medication is prescribed as the first line of treatment for chronic pain. However, many of these medications have specific risky side effects – ranging from nausea and drowsiness to heart complications.
Holistic pain management is a safer alternative solution for chronic pain. A holistic approach to medicine treats the whole person, considering mental and social factors, rather than just treating the symptoms of a disease.
When weighing the benefits of a holistic pain management program, there are several factors to consider. Let’s talk about the key advantages of holistic pain management, and where you can go in southwestern Utah for a comprehensive pain treatment solution that works.
The Advantages of Holistic Treatments
Topical and transdermal creams and gels are potential alternatives to traditional oral pain medications. These can be formulated to provide high local concentrations at the site of your chronic pain. Topical medications are effective and avoid the side effects associated with oral administration.
Clinical studies suggest that there are no major restrictions on the type of drug that can be incorporated into a properly compounded transdermal gel. When administered in this way, these medications are not absorbed by the digestive system, so the dosage is not diluted by digestion.
The advantages include painless administration, fewer side effects, and reduced treatment costs.
Other common holistic strategies for chronic pain include the following:
- Acupuncture involves the insertion of thin, tiny needles into certain points of the body to stimulate nerves and muscles in a way that promotes pain relief and healing.
- Chiropractic treatment realigns and manipulates the spine and neck in such a way as to relieve pain, promote healing, and improve overall function.
- Physical therapy exercises in the form of specific movements are designed to improve mobility and range of motion and to strengthen muscles to relieve pain.
- Therapeutic massage relieves discomfort by relaxing painful muscles and joints and decreases stress and anxiety.
- Stress-reduction techniques, such as mindfulness and meditation training, calm the nervous system, decrease muscle tension, and lower pain levels.
- Vitamin or herbal supplements provide direct relief by reducing inflammation and improving joint health.
- Aloe vera contains naturally occurring essential nutrients with anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving qualities to relieve chronic muscle pain.
- Amino acid therapy can improve one’s mood, sleep, mental health, inflammation, etc.
Regardless of the holistic therapy you choose, it’s important to realize that there is no one-size-fits-all approach to pain management. Since they are less invasive and come with fewer risks, holistic pain management therapeutic options are a good place to start. However, always talk with your provider about the different options that are available to you.
Holistic Pain Management in Santa Clara and St. George, Utah
If you are in southwestern Utah and are in search of an effective solution for chronic pain, look no further than Fusion Specialty Pharmacy. Our certified compounding pharmacists work closely with physicians across various disciplines to help patients achieve their treatment goals.
To learn more about our services or to schedule a free consultation, call us today at (888) 963-9923. Our team looks forward to serving you at one of our convenient locations!